Sunday, December 14, 2008

Question for the Fatwa Council

Thursday November 20, 2008 (The Star Online)

I HAVE a question for the National Fatwa Council. I am a non-Muslim and I work in a call centre where the majority of customers are Muslims.

I use the company’s “standard-operating-greeting (SOG)” which is “Shyam bercakap, boleh saya bantu” and the caller replies with his standard greeting which is “Asalamualaikum”. To which I will respond with the customary “Mualaikumsalam

I would like to know if I should stop practising this for fear it would offend or insult Muslim customers. If so, could the National Fatwa Council come out with a ruling on this matter.

I lived in the United Arab Emirates, a Muslim nation, for two years and the standard greeting there was “Asalamualaikum”. I was very comfortable using it and even my non-Muslim Arab friends greet me in the same manner.

But now that I am back in Malaysia, I fear the worst. So please, clarify.

S. RICHARD,

Klang.

No comments: